4 Foods that can cause Cancer

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Up to 70% of cancers are thought to be preventable through diet. The other 30% has to do with genetics and environmental factors that you can’t control. Still, those are solid odds to encourage better eating! Stick with us for all the foods you would do best to avoid in order to minimize your chances of ever developing cancer.

1. Canned Products

Canned food tends to contain really high levels of salt and/or sugar, but that’s not the main reason it is bad for you. It’s actually the cans that contain the food.

They are often lined with the dangerous chemical BPA, which is a known hormone disrupter that has also been linked to cancer. BPA will leech into whatever food comes in contact with it, especially things that are naturally acidic, such as tomatoes.

2. Potato Chips

Chips aren’t healthy because they contain a lot of salt and saturated fat which is overwhelming to your body’s digestive system.

The reason they increase your cancer risk is something called acrylamide, a carcinogenic chemical that occurs anytime food is cooked to a high temperature.

 3. Microwave Popcorn

Much like canned foods, the problem with microwave popcorn is the way it is stored. Most microwave bags are lined with a product called PFOA, which has been linked to the occurrence of pancreas, kidney, liver, bladder, and testicular cancer.

When you pop the corn in the microwave, PFOA coats the finished product right along with the artificial trans fat “butter”. Popcorn itself can be a healthy snack, however, if you use an air popper and then toss it with a little bit of garlic-infused olive oil or a flavorful dried herb mix.

4. Hydrogenated Oils

You might think that oil from vegetables ought to be healthy, but this is another case where processing of natural products makes them dangerous. Oil cannot be extracted from whole vegetables naturally, so they undergo a chemical extraction process.

Then, the oil is colored and the natural scent is removed to make the finished product look appealing. This chemical process is what makes the oil hydrogenated.

The easiest way to cancer-proof your diet is to focus on buying whole foods at the store and cooking at home, so that you control the processing. When you leave the packaged stuff behind, you can be sure that you know exactly what’s going into your body.